March 20, 2013: Mixed Messages



I love good news. I love a happy ending. When God has other plans, my heart is heavy. This weekend I received notification from two Caringbridge posts. One was on a friend who miraculously was living life with no signs of her cancer. A true joy and a blessing. I was so happy for this amazing woman and her family.

The second post had the opposite news. This friend is losing her battle with cancer. She is in hospice and dying. A shock. She is young; very young. She was so full of life the last time I saw her. I was at a loss on why God would take her from us. Such a joy on earth.

Now I can only pray; knowing we are all human and God has a plan for each one of us. A plan that none of us know. A plan that can be painful and difficult, but can also be joyful and happy. One day at a time. Live each day to the fullest.

Two favorite quotes come to mind as I pray for my friends as they continue their journeys. Both of these women exemplify the spirit of these quotes and live by these words. The first is credited to Ronald Reagan: "Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly, leave the rest to God."

The second by the great Ralph Waldo Emerson: "To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."

Great words to live by. Watching others lead by this example is even a greater inspiration. Lastly, as I sadly think of my friend, Holly, finishing her battle on earth, I want to share a Bible quote. Holly was a great support to our mutual friend, Butch, as he lost his battle with cancer many years ago. The following scripture was read at Butch's funeral. This passage is an embodiment of Holly's wonderful spirit and her courageous fight on earth. Many prayers your way, Holly girl. You will be greatly missed.

"As for me, I am already being poured out in sacrifice, and time of my deliverance is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith. For the rest, there is laid up for me a crown of justice, which the Lord, the just Judge, will give me in that day; yet not to me only, but also to those who love his coming."
~ 2 Timothy 4:6-8


Comments

  1. This is beautiful post Sandy. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal