February 8, 2020: Old Guy and Me (our new normal)

We got our new cards and no mug shots this time!

Durango life is beginning to feel very normal. Our new normal.

I just did the math (of course) on our number of days here. With my time away in Indiana to move Larry, Garrett's travel for work, and Larry coming in late to the game, here are our individual stats on days lived in Durango:
  • Garrett - 31 days
  • Sandy - 30 days
  • Larry - 25 days
In that short span of time, we have accomplished a lot. And more importantly, we have no reservations on our new city. We are loving it here.

With my loft office above the family room and kitchen, I often play favorite vinyls from our combined collection of Larry's and my records. This afternoon I had yet to put on Artie Shaw or Johnny Cash. Instead he and I chatted about the day and what was to come for the rest of the weekend. 

Old Guy (nickname given before my time BTW) had just sat down in his favorite chair with his favorite blanket (knit by his mom, Mabel) which has traveled from Indiana with him. Larry summed up our new normal very well. 

"You know what, Sandy? I've been thinking about it and we really have done something big. We picked up and moved halfway across the country for a new life."

So true, Larry.

I am the all-time PollyAnna in making any new normal, normal. But this really is a big deal. We have accomplished a ton in our collective 25-31 days.

Top of this list was finding new healthcare providers. Durango has a great medical community, but they keep reminding us that they are rural. We now understand this better after navigating the system.

When making Larry's first primary care appointment, we were alarmed when told the first available appointment was not until mid-April. But with persistent effort and smiles, we got in last week for Larry's new patient consultation.

I am quite sure we initially scared the shit (excuse my language) out of his new care team with his past medical record stack at about 5 inches tall. After Larry's new provider got past the initial shock of information overload, the three of us had a great conversation and a plan for meds and appointments over the next month.

There really is a power of two in healthcare (patient + advocate). I firmly believe in patient advocacy. Good providers welcome it. I will always have a soft spot for the plight of the patient and doctors within a very confusing and complicated healthcare system.

During a week when Garrett was out of town, neither Larry nor I knew how to run the TV. Garrett had predicted this outcome from his non-techie roommates. But the result of a no TV week was glorious. During 'impeachment week' we had five days of no background noise from the news media.

Instead, we spent our time joyfully listening to Dean Martin and Nat King Cole crooning to us from my upstairs record player. With the entertainment of our books, the Durango Herald (a real paper, delivered to our door), daily planned adventures and stops at the Tavern, we had a very happy week.

Another fun time was Snowdown. This is a Durango classic that goes on for five days and oh, what a party! Larry and I spent an afternoon downtown watching the many events and then on another day, we participated in an event at our favorite tavern - 8th Ave Tavern. We love this place. It has the feel of small town corner pub.

Larry and I were asked to join a team called "The Regulars" for Snowdown's Name That Tune competition slated at the Tavern. We didn't win, but we enjoyed the other 'regulars', met new friends and had a ton of fun (I may or may not have ended up dancing with a group of other 50ish year-old women to 80's music).

Another form of healthcare?

Getting our library cards (no mug shots with these) and finding the treasure of the Durango Public Library was another highlight. Today we had our second visit and are loving all the library has to offer, including a large outdoor reading area overlooking the Animas River. We are also patronizing the local bookstore, Maria's. A cute and cozy store on Main Street.

Garrett and I have spent a lot of time diving into the Durango community. We have met with local leaders from Fort Lewis College and the economic development sector. We have attended Chamber of Commerce events. I have visited all three of Durango's Rotary clubs, which was nostalgic and fun for me given my long history with West Omaha Rotary. Our calendar continues to fill as people reach out to us for coffee, lunch or a beer. 

Our Three's Company trio continues to thrive living together. As with any good roommates, we have specific roles and rules. They make our lives very peaceful. We also find ourselves grateful for each other's contributions (a huge key to any good relationship).

I am the chief cook and dog walker. Larry and I run the errands together. Garrett has the early morning shift of coffee, house clean-up, and garbage. He is our everything-tech go-to guy. Larry thanks me a lot for the good food (smart man), gives the dog constant love and attention, and works on random fix-it projects around the house. 

We also have a rule at our house around conversations on politics, religion, etc... We discuss issues, not people (i.e. leaders, present or past, by name). Very simple. This has a huge positive impact on our quality of life. The amazing thing is that we are generally in agreement on most issues and can have great dialogue around these issues, agree or disagree. Leaving out our personal opinions on Pres Dick or Rep Jane, we actually learn a lot from each other.

Larry and Don
At a bar event during Snowdown, a man in full 70's costume came to our table to introduce himself. Don was drawn to Larry's Navy hat and shared that he served in the Army. They quickly figured out that they served in the military at about the same time. Don was in Vietnam. Through their conversation I heard about their experiences and views as soldiers, during an era and from a perspective that I have no personal experience.

With varying life experiences over different times, we are innately people with differing opinions and that is okay. It's healthy. It's being human. I learn new things every day from my talks with Old Guy and I would like to think he would say the same about me and my perspective.

We can all learn from each other by just listening before forming an opinion. 

Collectively Larry, Garrett and I continue to work our way through local coffee shops and restaurant recommendations. Note there is a lot of great food and drink in Durango. Last night over pizza and ribs, Garrett asked how happy we are here compared to where we lived before. Larry and I had similar responses. So far it is great, but it's hard to compare days to years of life experience.

We are taking it one day at a time. Each morning we start out appreciative to just waking up to another day. And then we happily keep figuring it out as we go along. 


Zeke poses for me like a good boy
(city is the view below)


Night view of the sky (coming out of our gym)


A stop for a selfie while running Zeke around The Rim
(Zeke wished to keep running and not take a picture)


Pizza and ribs, yes please
(Restaurant - Pizza and Rib Co.)

We are becoming Foodie's (Ska Brewery)

My favorite section of the paper. Ha! (too much info?)

Snowdown!

From the Joy of Cooking cookbook
(food courtesy of me. dish courtesy of Mabel)


So fun to participate in this annual Durango party!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal