January 7, 2013: Happy Birthday, Dad!


I found this old Polaroid of my parents.
It was taken in the late 70's at my grandparents farm house.

My dad turned 69 today. Yep, a good day for all of us. My brothers and I have a great dad and we are grateful for him. It is interesting how one needs to age and reach similar life milestones to fully appreciate their parents. Dad really doesn't like the spotlight nor will he particularly like my blogging about him, so I will keep it brief.

Dad barbered in Iowa and Arizona for 47 years
Being raised in the 70's was a very different time in parenting then the techniques of today. My dad worked. He worked hard; putting in long hours while my mom stayed home with us (note that I do recognize her hard work as well). With his new role as grandparent, my dad has noted differences in the role of a dad of today vs. his parenting heyday in the 70's.

Sometimes I pick up on a hint of regret for his working long hours instead of attending all of our childhood events. Maybe he should have been more engaged in teaching us to tie our shoes or coach our baseball team?. No worries, Dad, you taught us much more than you know.

In these days of credit overload and "we want it all, we want it now" mentality, Dad has taught us the exact opposite. It is called the gift of financial security. If you have this amenity, the world is an open book rather than a burden. And this advantage is available to anyone, not just the wealthy. Save, save, save and then save some more. "Stuff" doesn't make you happy. Dad has taught us this value through hard work and living within your means, while enjoying a very comfortable and happy existence.

He has taught us to love what we do and do what makes us happy. Treat people with honesty and respect...always. That is a non-negotiable. And most importantly, Dad taught us all how to love your family. My dad has always adored and loved my mom. It is a trait I admire most in a man. And he is always there for his kids and grandkids. Always....non-negotiable. Happy Birthday, Dad. I am sure your teaching me to tie my shoes would have been awesome, but I'll take your lessons on life non-negotiables instead.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal