January 24, 2013: It's 60 Degrees Somewhere...


Garrett, Dad and Mom...road trip...fall 2009

And I'm flying there tomorrow.

It's overdue. We will call the 60 degree weather and sunny Arizona skies "frosting on the cake" after enduring the frosty chills of Nebraska. The real reason for the trip is to visit my parents...long overdue, visit Garrett's dad...overdue, and visit Garrett...necessary.

I haven't seen my mom and dad since last May. I think it's now been two years since I've been to Kingman. Yes, this trip is long overdue. I got used to them being around as they have stayed with me a lot over the last few years. Eventually they "weaned" me off relying on them. Probably similar to when I was a child, they pushed me out of the nest again (or left the nest). I miss them and although the time will be short, I very much look forward to it.

Grant and I visited Larry, Garrett's dad, last February in Pheonix. We had a blast with Larry and his girlfriend, Judi. He is an awesome "almost" father-in-law to me. With him splitting his time between Indiana and Arizona and with Garrett in Denver (and obviously me in Nebraska) our paths cross rarely. This visit is overdue. Can't wait.

I get to see Garrett tomorrow. Wow...I had no idea how long two weeks really was until I met Garrett. FYI...It's a LONG time. Seeing your "almost" spouse on an every two week schedule is not for the faint of heart. We call it the marathon. On those occasions when we get to slip in an extra trip between the two weeks of separation, it makes a huge difference.

Early on I used the analogy of our two week separation to running a marathon. Once you run a marathon (two week separation), a half-marathon (one week separation) is run with ease, and a 5K (few days)...a walk in the park. So the latest marathon is almost over. There is never enough time to spend with those you love, so this weekend we will cherish the short time we have together and with our parents.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal