January 19, 2013: Hamsters and Hot Tubs

Meet Doug Martin
I am going to start this blog story with my ending line. Welcome to my world. Ben, Grant and I appear to have added a hamster to our home (although I am told the residence is temporary). I woke up this morning to chlorine filled towels on the floor, a back light left on by the hot tub, and a hamster in the basement. My apologies to the creators of the movie "The Hangover", as I am mimicking their reverse story line technique in the telling of my tale.

Now that you know the final outcome, let's start at the beginning. I was sitting in a meeting late in the day yesterday with two male colleagues when a text came through from Ben, my 16 year old.

"Can me and Valerie go in the Hottub tonight" (4:49 p.m.)

As I read the text to the guys, conspiracy theories erupted on what Ben and his girlfriend were really up too. According to the grown boys (men) sitting next to me, Ben was up to something. Perhaps trying to time my entrance home? Was no good happening in my house as we spoke? Grant had his buddy, Brendon, overnight so there were plenty of eyes at my house (and believe me, Grant doesn't miss a beat...best chaperon I have). As we theorized on the possibilities, a second text came through.

"How bout 6 so we can go buy the hamster" (5:13 p.m.)

Huh??? A hamster? I read the new text aloud and our theories now changed to a cry for attention. Was he really begging me to come home as he launched these torpedoes? Certainly there must be more to the story than the texts read. Some subliminal message that I needed to break. After a text response from me to hold off on both hot tub and hamster conversations until my arrival home, I headed west. My mind was swimming with ideas on what was really going on at the Lane house.

I needed to make a quick stop to see my nieces and friends at Roja. Pre-planned Happy Hour libations were happening and I had belated Christmas Goddaughter gifts to delivery. Minutes from home and with a text letting Ben know the timing of my arrival, I decided maybe a drink was a necessary accommodation for this Mom before dealing with code words "hamsters and hot tubs" the remainder of the night.

As I walked into the busy Mexican restaurant, I eyed Valerie's (Ben's girlfriend) mom sitting at the bar. After a quick greeting and pleasantries, she looked at her phone and said "So what is going on with the kids tonight...they are going in your hot tub and then buying a hamster??" Wow, maybe no code words or conspiracy theories involved. Could this actually be their idea of what to do at 6:00 on a Friday night?

Hmmmm...homeward bound and with a high level of curiosity, I was greeted by an empty house. No kids in the hot tub and no obvious signs of a hamster. I wasn't too worried about the hamster at this point as they didn't have the funds to purchase nor the consent of an adult (knew these rules from past experience).

Well, I was wrong on all counts. In came in four kids...two 16 year-olds and two 12 year-olds...with a hamster in a box. They excitedly told me how they pooled their money (Brendon with the highest ownership stake as he contributed $30 of $40...see the note he left his mother below) and Ben signed as an 18 year old to purchase little Doug Martin, the hamster. I guess they don't check I.D.'s at Pet Smart.

After a promise that Doug would permanently live at their dad's house and only visit mine (famous last words from kids of divorced parents), I resigned myself to my jammies and the welcoming screen of my laptop. Grant and Brendon took Doug into the basement. Ben and Val went in the hot tub. Welcome to my world.


Comments

  1. Oh my, I was also thinking about a code involving hot tubs and hamster as I read your post. It was actually funny how adults like us think when our teenage kids want to use the hot tub with their girlfriend or boyfriend. But anyway, that sure is a new pastime for a Friday night.

    Regards,
    Cathy Newman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal