July 10, 2013: A Trip Home from Lincoln

A little morning stroll past Memorial Stadium
I was talking to Garrett on the phone Saturday night, telling him about my upcoming Sunday plans.

"I'm going for a bike ride in Lincoln in the morning," I told him.

"Did you run out of places to ride in Omaha?" was his response.

Hmmmmm. I didn't know the answer. Why were we riding in Lincoln? Perhaps I am too eager to join the fun without asking questions. Earlier in the day, I put out a post looking for someone to ride with on Sunday. I received an invitation to join two for a ride in Lincoln. It never crossed my mind to ask, why were we going to Lincoln? All I knew was that a van was involved to transport bikes.

As I pulled into my friend's driveway, I was anxious to get resolution to my question. Why Lincoln? Scott quickly apprised me of the situation. A rental car that Kerri had rented for a family vacation needed to be returned to Lincoln. So the idea was to drop off the rental van and ride our bikes home. Of course. A biking adventure. And I do love an adventure.

So that is what we did. Wheels removed. Bikes and bikers loaded. A van drive to Lincoln.

And then we got lost. With printed Google map instructions, Kerri on her phone asking for directions, and Scott trying to map it on his phone; we were still lost. I will take credit for saving the day with my I-Phone map app. It did leave a hesitancy on our navigation skills on our impending exit from Lincoln. But somehow we pulled it off.

I had never ridden my bike on Highway 6 before; certainly not from Lincoln to Omaha. I had driven it. Many times. I am quite sure there were trips home from Husker games that surpassed our 2 1/2 hour length of time bike ride back. Lesson learned: Bike beats car in a log jam of vehicles.

It was careless freedom riding with my fun comrades. We did act a bit like college kids; hooting and hollering past our beloved Nebraska stadium and showing excitement in being acknowledged with a train horn. We survived the forty-five miles on a highway shoulder filled with road kill and loose gravel.

But Kerri planned our route well with a wind out of the west and directly to our back. The rolling hills were a cinch to conquer. All in all...a sweet ride. And the company was pretty darn good too.

No road...no problem



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal