September 9, 2018: Every Day is an Adventure

Day 2 | 30 Days of Writing

Sunday Funday. How about a bike ride?
(Old Market sculpture in the background)

I am a firm believer that fun is what you make of it. Regardless of circumstances or surroundings, it is available at our beck and call.  Wrapped with the bow of positive perspective, I have found that most fun adventures come in the most ordinary places and on the most routine days.

Today was no exception. A gorgeous day by all accounts; perfect temp, low humidity, and no wind. There was enough sun to get people outdoors and smiling, but enough clouds to make the sky interesting. A perfect Sunday.

We started our day with our alarm clock of a sixty-pound pup resting his head on our bed with a low pitched whine of wanting outside. We love this time of year when we wake up to the coolness of the morning from our opened windows. The love of a puppy to greet us is just frosting on the cake.

After lazily enjoying my morning coffee and catching up on reading, my organizer husband asked his daily question "What is the plan for today?"

Barely awake and knowing my list was long, but nothing of urgent importance, I basked in the thought of spontaneity.

"Can I think about it?" was my response.

He laughed, knowing me too well, and rephrased his question.

"What is definitely on the calendar today?"

I threw it back to him, asking his schedule. A litany of work and trip planning to-do's were detailed out to me, along with the key NFL game times and his desire for a bike ride.

"Well...the dog needs to be walked and I want to finish my book. Can we get those done and then I can map out the day?" Not a solid answer on my part, but Garrett accepted this as a fair next step.

After we walked Zeke and I finished my book on the back deck, Garrett was off on his bike ride. All I could see was an open afternoon with me clearly in the mood for an adventure. There may not be mountains or beaches in Omaha, but there are plenty of places to play. And with a bike, you can cover a lot of ground in the short period of time.

It has been a couple of years since I last rode the Riverfront Trail and it sounded like a fun adventure. So I loaded up my bike and gear and headed downtown.

Morman Bridge in background
For thirty miles I peddled north on this stretch of trail that runs adjacent to the Missouri River. I rode by over 1,000 people walking for suicide awareness. I saw a dozen planes fly in and out of Eppley Airfield. There were coast guard boats, natural grasslands preserves, the Morman Bridge, midget football games, and countless walkers, runners, and cyclists out enjoying the day with me.

And I couldn't stop smiling. There were milestones from past organized runs and rides that stirred memories. Interesting people marked different intersections and crossroads on my 30-mile trek. Some spoke my same language and some didn't. There were people from walks of life and cultures different than my West Omaha existence. As we greeted each other with a smile, word or quick wave, I was reminded of how uniquely different we all are, but yet still the same.

My adventure took a fun turn when I decided to send my niece, Ky, a random text at my turn around point.

"Out for a bike ride dowtown. Want to meet for movie or outside wine?"

Old Market
Confirmed shortly after, my next destination was an outdoor table at La Buvette in the Old Market. Score! Nothing better than a little motivation and a prize at the end of a long ride. Riding through the Old Market on bike on a gorgeous day is a fun experience. I always loved the concept of parking a bike next to a patio and enjoying a wind-down refreshment.

The company was great and the people watching, superb. Every part of our eclectic population ventured out today. Ky and I solved the world's problems (and caught up). We came up with a great idea on a media to better educate people on world issues. More to come on that.

The ride back to my car parked by the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge was as enjoyable as the start to my ride. Lots of people and positive vibes.

My bike hit the 30-mile mark as I rode up to my car, but I couldn't resist taking a final ride across the bridge just to know I road in two states today. And it was not a letdown. A tourist attraction and local favorite, the bridge was bustling. I would love to hear the stories of the many people taking in their day on the bridge. Americana at it's best.

As I drove home I called Garrett. Catching up on his West O bike ride and NFL scores, we planned dinner time and timing of going over details for our upcoming road trip.

"How was your ride?" was Garrett's question to me.

Somewhere between the sides of his Sunday normalcy and my Sunday Funday adventure, I knew there was a bridge I needed to build for our days to meet. Over dinner and a post- Broncos game win,  we exchanged stories and our lives intersected back to our new normal.

Every day is truly an adventure. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.


great views all day

Bridge selfie

burning calories is a great thing









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal