September 13, 2018: A Birthday is Always a Good Thing


Day 6 | 30 Days of Writing

My tenth birthday
51 collective birthdays leaves one with lots of fun memories. Growing up I didn't have oversized yard signs greeting me when I woke up in the morning nor did I have extravagant friend parties that included limos or any type of purchased party favors.

We just had good old-fashioned fun that can't be bought, but is equally priceless.

In my golden years of birthdays through the 70's and 80's, I got to choose the dinner menu and cake variety. That was our family celebration. My choice was typically spaghetti for the meal and either banana bread or angel food for the cake. Mom would also allow me to have a group of friends spend the night. We always had lots of fun but reversely got little to no sleep.

If Rocky was involved, we would set up a seance once it was dark and try to connect with spirits. Beth would come with a yellow Tupperware filled with her mom Kay's chocolate chip cookies. We played truth or dare and would crank call our other classmates after my parents went to bed.

Curling or braiding each others hair was usually happening before swooning over the latest boy who had recently grown a couple of inches taller or excelled on the baseball field (perhaps after adding a spray of Love's Baby Soft). And some form of Air Supply or Meatloaf was lip-synced into a hairbrush while these discussions were taking place.

The picture above was taken on my 10th birthday. It was on a weekday. Google tells me it was a Tuesday. I am wearing my school uniform. I remember my cake that year; angel food with whipped frosting. My mom's signature decor of the Asian lady on the huge stereo unit (not pictured and probably not possible. HUGE piece of wood) and gold spray painted bird cage with fake bird are in the background. I remember them like yesterday.

I always knew my mom was trendy. Also hidden from view in this picture was our bright green carpet and black wrought iron dining room table set. Oh, and my butterfly necklace was ordered from the Avon catalog (I don't recall the neighbor or likely friend of my mom who was our Avon rep). Life was good.

Fast forward 41 years. Life is still very good. But my perspective is different. Rather than anxiously awaiting my weekend sleepover, I look forward to a playdate with my husband. And to be completely honest, the most prominent birthday thought in my head is that I am lucky to enjoy each year. Way too many of my friends and loved ones of my friends aren't as lucky as me to get another birthday.

So thank-you to all of my friends and family who I am blessed to share life, love, and a whole lot of fun with whenever we have the good fortune to connect. I appreciate every text, e-mail, message, FB comment, and the many other ways you wished me a happy birthday today.

It has been an extremely laid back day, but wonderful birthday.

I ran with my gal pals, enjoyed a coffee, read a book, work a bit, made progress on my Old Chicago Octoberfest mini-tour, saw the Thomas Mangelsen art exhibit at the Durham Museum, enjoyed conversation and a glass of wine with my husband on a patio in the Old Market, and am now enjoying hanging with my dog and writing a blog. The only thing left is a quick walk with Zeke and to bed by 10:00.

I don't think I could have scripted it any better. Here's to 51! Peace out.

Necklace is Garrett's late grandmother's...gift from Larry and I love to wear!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal