September 17, 2018: Halloween Happy

Day 10 | 30 Days of Writing

The infamous Halloween house display
(missing a few finishing touches still packed away in storage bins)

I got a call tonight while out to dinner with friends.

"Mom, are you still buying Halloween houses every year? You're putting them up this year, aren't you?"

After figuring out that Grant's random call was in reference to my beloved Department 56 Halloween house display, I was a little befuddled on the call. Being the mother of boys, I don't get a lot of sentimental comments on my annual holiday decor.

"I don't know. Why do you ask, Grant?"

To my shock there was still enthusiasm in his answer.

"Zach and I are at Target and they have Halloween houses out. You should get a new one. And you have to put them out? It's a tradition!"

Just maybe all my years of going over-the-top on my favorite holiday, Halloween, has passed on to my sons? I beamed all the way home at the prospect.

My first request upon arrival home was for Garrett to back his car out of the garage, immediately. I needed to access my holiday storage, I explained. While arguing with Garrett over the fact that Halloween is indeed in October and yes, it is still September, I forged ahead with my plan and carefully arranged my annual display.

With thoughts of pumpkin buying and my many other orange storage bins still tucked away in the garage, my mind was going into pumpkin spice overload. How I was going to get the entire house decorated before leaving for our road trip in a few days?

By this time Garrett removed himself from the situation. Mostly because he completely didn't understand my sentimental logic. But also to get away before I asked him to lug the remaining storage bins into the house. He does not understand my holiday tradition obsessions, but he plays along and that's all I ask.

Halloween has always been my favorite. It's not the spooky dress-up part I love, but the feels and smells of fall. So close to my birthday, I have gathered many orange gifts over the year. And I put out every one about this time each year.

From 1993 through 2005 we hosted an annual Halloween party in our backyard. It started as a small family gathering, a way to let all of the Lane cousins have a day to trick-or-treat together. It grew to a huge party with face-painters, tents, and guest list of 200+ family, friends, and neighbors. We had a blast.


And then the boys got busy with their collective football schedules and their own lives, so the annual party went away. But the decorations have kept going up strong, year after year, and I relish in the fun of putting them up with the smell of a new pumpkin candle flowing through the house.

Unfortunately I have many sentimental traditions that have been lost to a house full of boys (unless it involved food or their friends). Zach professes to hating Christmas music. As an adult he refuses to listen. He claims this is the byproduct of my insisting on playing them in the car and through the house through his childhood.

My dismay in a phone call asking about my seasonal indulgence is obviously warranted. For today, I will just thank the boys for making my day in remembering their old mom and her love for Halloween. Perhaps I do need to buy one more Halloween house to add to the collection....


[I made a photo book of our last Halloween bash in 2005. Here are some of my favorite pics]











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal