September 11, 2018: Furry Friends

Day 4 | 30 Days of Writing

Always a good boy. Zeke always poses nicely for all my picture taking

I never had my own pet growing up. I was reminded of this on a recent FaceTime conversation with my parents. After describing in great detail the day of our puppy, as I would have described a day of my kids in years past, my parents acknowledged our childhood void.

"You and your brothers are such dog lovers. The only pet we had in our house while you were growing up was a short-lived goldfish. Your dad and I just can't get over where this came from and with all three of you! We kind of feel bad now, but who knew?"

Mom is so right. All three of the Wagner siblings are suckers for our dogs, grand-dogs, and extended doggy family. They hold family status close to our own children.

But when we were growing up there was no Spot waiting for us at home. No Lassie running with us in the backyard. And for the record, I have no recollection of a goldfish.

But somehow for each of us, our furry friends are integral parts of our family. I can't imagine life without Zeke, even though he only made his appearance in Omaha 5 months ago. Puppy love is the purest emotion that comes without training or advance notice. Although difficult to explain, there is no better feeling.

Our pets reciprocate our love unconditionally and without judgement, a feat difficult in human relationships. This is why we pet-lovers can speak the same language of pet-love. We get it because we have experienced this firsthand.

At the last wedding we attended, Garrett and I reflected that most of our conversations with others revolved around our furry friends at home. We viewed all kinds of videos and pictures that others showed us and proudly showed them our favorite shots as well. I'm sure part of this enthusiasm is the stage of our lives. We have slowed our pace and take in more joy in our everyday happenings. Dog walks of today filled with conversation and nature's beauty is as well anticipated an event as was a night out in the town was in our twenties.

Abby holding down the steps
And then there is the entertainment factor as well. I would be remiss not to mention our cat, Abby. Although she requires her humans to work a little harder to gain her love, she does eventually give it on her terms.

The continual bantering of these two furry companions is both entertaining and a little tiresome. I can now relate to my mom's complaints of the constant bickering between me and my brothers.

Note that although it is easy to side with the cat in the Zeke/Abby standoffs due to her smaller size, know that the cat has every opportunity to find escape in a multitude of places that the pup has no access. She typically chooses not to, until she tires of the energetic pup.

Our new normal. And no worries, Mom, I didn't lose out on anything in my childhood. Sometimes the best things do come for those who wait.


(a few pictures of the view from my bed as I write this...)
Pup trying to fit under bed. Fail.

Cat hiding under bed.







Pup resorting to scratching on bed to annoy cat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal