September 24, 2018: Funny the Way It Is...

Day 17 | 30 Days of Writing

A sunset behind the mountains...the end of our night

Dave Matthews' song Funny the Way It Is kept playing in my head today. His wonderful lyrics talks of the world of opposites we live in.

Lying in the park of a beautiful day
Sunshine in the grass and the children play
Sirens passing, fire engines red
Someone's house is burning down on a day like this
And evening comes, and we're hanging out
On the front step and a car goes by with the windows rolled down
And that war song is playing, "Why can't we be friends"
Someone is screaming and crying in the apartment upstairs

Funny the way it is, if you think about it
Someone's going hungry, someone else is eating out
Funny the way it is, not right or wrong
Somebody's heart is broken, it becomes your favorite song...


This song hit the charts and gained popularity in 2009. I remember listening to it on my playlist during my 2010 road trip with my parents. Although the details of many memories have escaped my mind over the years, I distinctly remember the words to this song taking a different meaning after a gas stop during that trip.

Standing outside the car at a gas station while my dad fueled up, I felt the summer heat coming off the pavement below me. I remember worrying about my life predicament of being a divorcee. Worrying about work deadlines and goals. Worrying about my kids biggest life predicaments, which at the time really weren't that big, but I sure thought they were.

As I stood waiting, thinking, and stretching a bit, fire and rescue squads whizzed by with sirens blaring. Dad immediately noticed the smoke billowing out of a house a block away. People were screaming with chaos ensuing. We watched like typical useless onlookers. The best help had arrived and we were just being curious and wishing we could help. Dad finally convinced us that we were best to get out of the way and just move on.

He was right, but I kept thinking about the family I heard. I really knew nothing of the details, but created  of visual of them in my minds eye. Their normal day turning into their life upside down with one fateful choice, one piece of lousy luck. Completely the opposite of my road trip day of adventure.

Funny the way it is, I thought as we just kept driving with my life and belongings intact. So much I had but how quickly I thought my life and bucket were far from full. I guess that's what we call perspective.

As we enjoyed Durango today, I thought a lot about how fortunate I am. How life is not always fair. While we enjoy sunsets and mountain drives, others are making life-changing decisions, many with few choices in front of them. As beautiful as life can be, it can be equally as cruel.

Today good health is on our side and our biggest decisions revolve around where to live and for how long. Not all of my friends have the same choices in front of them. We are lucky. At least for today and I hope, tomorrow.

Today we spent a quiet day in Durango, Colorado. Catching up on work and slowing our pace a bit, we took a day off of long drives. Instead we kicked around Downtown Durango and checked out some of the local stores. We drove through the neighborhoods and college area. After a run along the river (Larry and Zeke stayed behind on this one), we checked out a local brewery and then enjoyed some fire-grilled pizza on an outdoor patio.

We talked about life and what we want to do rather than what we can't do. The world of opposites is in our favor now, but my traveling trio has also been on the other side. The focus needs to be on not putting off for tomorrow what we can do today.

Seize the day and enjoy the little moments. And be very grateful.

Tomorrow I will be taking my first train ride through what I hear are the most spectacular sights in Colorado. I've got my ticket to ride and can't wait! More to come.


(Oh...and Grandpa Larry taught Zeke how great it is to sleep on a bed. Has never happened in Omaha. No turning back now??)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal