May 12, 2013: Anutter Mutter's Day

Grant and teammates surprised the mothers with flowers at halftime of their lacrosse game
The title of my blog actually reminds me of my own mom. Mary would say a quirky little mispronounced saying like this with a smile on her face. And we would all laugh. That's what I love about my family. We share a great sense of humor, even when no one else understands. But we think our humor is funny and in our little world, that's what really matters.

My kids are funny. They make me laugh. Often. In fact, it gets them out of a lot of trouble. When in doubt, make mom laugh. Or make mom smile. Sugar is way better than vinegar at our house.

I could go through the laundry list of fun things we did to celebrate Mother's Day, but I'm not going to. I enjoyed them all, but the events weren't what brought the joy. It was the time together and observing laughter, bonding, and just plain having fun.

I like to watch my boys play. I like to see them interact well with others and show respect with caring attitudes outside our own tight circle. I like their inside jokes and stories that I am not a part of...the language of brothers.

It was a great day. I hope it was for all other mothers too. For me, a funny card and the surprise flower were well received gifts. But a day full of time with busy teenagers and engaging, funny conversation were truly the best gifts.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal