August 6, 2013: Change

Pix from blog post a year ago
I am feeling a little sentimental. Maybe it's post-vacation thoughts. It could also be the new school year. Possibly the margarita I had with a former co-worker and current friend from Lutz played a part. Very possible.

Regardless, I have been thinking about what I was doing a year ago. My life has changed tremendously in 365 days. And I really haven't taken the time to sit back an reflect on this.

A year ago I just finished a week long trip to NYC. I was flying solo, blogging to the world, and trying to figure out how I was going to spend the next chapter of my life. A family vacation with friends to California followed and within a month, I made up my mind. Change.

This leap of faith took months to secure as a reality. But I have never looked back. As I near the one year mark, I am amazed by what I have learned and the great people I have met along the way. And it has only just begun.

Some things haven't changed, only gotten better....Garrett, my kids, my family. My personal life is more at peace and my work life; a great adventure. As I pondered this last year, I thought of two of my favorite inspirational authors, Berkley Breathed and Dr. Suess. My favorite Opus book so brilliantly stated "the best times are those when you deviate from the text".

Now my quick ode to the wisdom of Dr. Suess and then to bed:

  • You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
  • Why fit in if you were born to stand out?
  • You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
  • Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.
  • Oh the things you can find if you don't stay behind.
  • You are on your own and you know what you know. And you are the one who will decide where to go...

Now my forty-five year-old advice to all: 1) Don't be afraid to deviate from the text. The text is yours to write and 2) Dr. Suess was a smart man.

Good-night :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal