February 8, 2013: All the Single Ladies (Part II)

Some of our combined crew

As an appendix to my blog from two days ago, I have a couple of additional thoughts to share relative to my marital status. The past blog only gave my personal thoughts. Today's entry will share some insights from our extended crew (kids) and my almost-significant other (Garrett).

Although Garrett has enjoyed all of the great feedback from my Single Ladies blog <wink-wink>, he did feel that a detail was left out; thus making it a less factual portrayal of the situation. Out of fear that he won't let me blog about him again <gasp>, I will share his recollection of a purported marriage proposal. I kind of forgot about this, but will substantiate that it did happen.

Three years ago (and very early in our relationship) over late night margaritas at Roja, I (hypothetically) asked Garrett if he would ever marry me. After the shocked look left his face and he spent about thirty seconds thinking about my bold question, Garrett answered, "Yeah, I think I would."

My answer was something like "cool". We then went on to finish our chips and margs. I heard what I wanted to hear. Garrett will always remember this exchange as my proposal of marriage. So, technically, yes, I did kind of ask the question. BUT there still isn't a ring on my finger, so he isn't completely off the hook.

Our kids have weighed in their feelings on the matter as well. Ben, of course, has provided the best overall assessment of the situation. Grant's response was pretty classic as well.

On a drive home from running errands, the boys and I were engaging in small talk. I had just hung up the phone with Garrett when Ben made a comment that if we lived in the same city, he was sure we would be married. "hmmm", was my response. "Should we get married even though we lived in two different states?" I threw out to them.

Grant's response "Is that even legal?"

Ben's response "Don't do it! You will crash and burn. Guaranteed."

Well then...out of the mouth of babes??

Final insight comes from Ms. Lily Brucker, Garrett's 3rd child and only daughter. Early in our courting and once Lily figured out that we were serious, she confided her own concerns with her dad.

"Dad, if you and Sandy get married, I'll be the only girl. I'll have six brothers. That would be so unfair."

Wow, Lily, another great comment.

Obviously we have some time to survey public opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal