January 4, 2019: The Boise Adventure | Day 4

The boys
Today was a great reminder that 'we're not in Kansas anymore'. Well, technically Nebraska, but we can all relate to the Kansas line. Instead of Toto, we have Zeke. And instead of Oz, we're in Idaho.

While Garrett and I worked diligently through the day, we really wouldn't have known where. We were just working. The sun and the clouds look a lot the same in Nebraska as Idaho when sitting indoors.

This was until we got to mid-day and needed to coordinate our workout schedule. Old routines continued as I vocally weighed the options of running outside vs. a nearby gym. Garrett, thinking outside our typical box, threw out the better option.

"Why don't we go for a hike?"

Working our way backwards from our scheduled happy hour with my Aunt Kathy, we decided we had a little over an hour for outdoor activity. With a quick Google search and review of on-line trails, we found our new place .75 miles, door to trailhead, to a large hiking area.

Although Zeke wasn't initially thrilled with getting back into a vehicle, he was excited when we stopped five minutes later. This was a far cry from his last two car outings (eleven and seven hours). Our little afternoon hiking adventure turned out to be dog heaven.

I cannot tell a lie. I did complain that my calves hurt (Garrett can attest). This flatlander girl needs to get her climb back on. It has definitely been a while, but I am up for the challenge and Zeke will thank me for it.

Leaving Zeke behind to meet Kathy went much better knowing Zeke had this outdoor time. This was Garrett and my first outing to meet new people. My Aunt Kathy is now an official Boiseian, having lived here for several years. She knows the city and the people well.

Kathy's co-worker, Cheryl, joined us for happy hour at the downtown Bonefish Grille. It was great hearing about the area from both her and Kathy and what they do for fun and entertainment. We also got lots of tips on ski conditions on various resorts in the area and planned some time together in the mountains.

Our next and last stop of the day was much anticipated by me.

Garrett and I walked a short jaunt from downtown to The Flicks, a local independent film cinema, to see our first movie of 2019. The Flicks is Boise's mirror of my beloved Film Streams in Omaha. I have been anxious to check it out, holding my breath that it would be my new favorite local movie venue.

Success. The theater was packed, eclectic, and with just the right movies, along with great food and drink choices.

Tonight we saw Vice. The acting was great and I am glad we went. But the movie overall was just so-so. Interesting, thoughtful, but too sporadic (especially second half) in what it was trying to accomplish.

There are many more movies coming to The Flicks that are on my list. We will be back.

Lessons of the day: Treasures are there to be found if you just take the time to look. And it's always nice to have old friends and family (um... Kathy) to help you find them.


Garrett and Zeke take the lead on our hike

New friends and old friends

Great food options at The Flick to try next time

Great bar choices too

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal