January 26, 2019: The Boise Adventure | Home Sweet Home

Dinner in Boise after a movie at The Flicks

My adventures in Boise are about to continue, albeit briefly, as I will be traveling again in a week.

I am currently sitting on a plane that just departed Omaha, in route to Boise. It was a very cold, but a very productive (and extremely busy) week back for me in Omaha. It’s been almost a month since Garrett and I pulled out of our Omaha driveway for Boise with U-Haul in tow. Three weeks in Boise. One week in Omaha. My new normal. Well, at least for now.

I am honestly unsure what my new normal will be for the long-term and I’m good with that. As my father-in-law explained to me the other day, “Sandy, you just get up in the morning and figure it out.”

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Although the main reason for my week back in Omaha is for business purposes with several on-going projects and clients based there, it also makes my time away from cherished Omaha friends feel almost nonexistent. True to my nature, this last week was jam-packed with meetings, friends, outings, deadlines, and nonstop movement. I’m mentally and physically exhausted and ready to go "home".

I’ve surprised myself on how I already refer to Boise as home. I’ve figured out that the comfort of home isn’t its physical structure or location, it’s about the people who live there.

I have always loved the Omaha house, long professing to my husband, Garrett, that it has a heartbeat. One he didn’t necessarily recognize with his historical nomad existence. I was sure he would understand after he moved to Omaha and we lived there together. Secretly I hoped he would fall in love with my home as I had.

I was right. Garrett did ultimately understand. When we sold the house in Denver and he moved to Omaha a year and a half ago, he did come to enjoy the comforts the Omaha home provided. But I also came to understand something too.

Our home did have a vibrant heartbeat from the moment my little family moved in on a cold snowy day in December 2000. It always had a happy beat with the activity of three busy boys and all of our friends, family and neighbors who joined us through its doors. Then three boys went down to two. Although Garrett and Zeke brought a whole new layer of joy to the day-to-day mix for a short period, the youngest boy flew off to his own new home 525 miles away this last summer.

Bedrooms have slowly gone empty with many rooms in the house rarely used. This last week as I was alone with just the cat, I noticed with the solitude, the heartbeat has become very faint. I now know what I felt in our home over all these years followed the people as they left one by one, along with our furry friends.

“Bloom where you are planted” is a favorite line I have recited to Garrett over the past years. My motive was to convince him that living in Omaha wasn’t so bad, even without mountains. Life was about making the most of it. Garrett ultimately did move to Omaha and he did buy into my philosophy. Then a funny thing happened. My line was redirected to me. It was time for me to bloom and be open to being replanted. When we decided to try out a different city, I knew it was time for me to take my own advice.

So that is what we are doing. Our furnished rental house is nestled in the foothills, and although temporary, it is a cozy retreat for Garrett, Zeke and I. It feels full of life. And I have yet to be homesick for either house, the one that remains in Omaha or the new one in Boise.

Reflecting on this move (or move-in-progress as a better term) while frequently being asked whether I miss Omaha, I definitely have gained some new self-awareness. With almost eight years of experience in maintaining two homes in two cities, this type of living situation is not new to us. The obvious difference is that I now spend more time in the other city than I do in Omaha. But the wonderful difference is that with our new two-city living, Garrett and I spend a majority of our time together, rather than apart.

Happiness is all about people and sharing  love and life’s moments. It’s not about things and it isn’t about location. It’s what you make of it. And although happy houses create constant reminders of the fond memories of a life well-lived, it's more about the people creating the happiness. 

My husband and pup are anxiously awaiting my arrival home. Garrett’s frequent texts in my absence with funny selfies with the dog and sweet words on how lonely the house feels without us together has me longing for them and home. I guess the old cliche is true. Home really is where the heart is. And the heartbeat will follow.
______________________________________________________________________

A blog a wrote almost 7 years ago with three boys at home. It resonates how our home in Omaha felt 'back in the day'. Sweet memories...

http://sandyalanedays.blogspot.com/2012/06/june-6-2012-signs-of-summer.html

______________________________________________________________________

I’ll close this blog with some favorite pictures from my adventures over the last couple of weeks. Life got a little busy for me, full of lots of great things. I'm looking forward to sharing the Boise adventures I have this week :) Life is good indeed.


1/11/19 - Dinner with Kathy at Richard's in Downtown Boise.
Very good food/wine and walking distance from The Flick's Theater.

1/12/19 - A view from the many windows in our cute home.

This is a typical winter day in Boise - lots of sunshine and high 40's

Note Garrett's feet as he sits on the couch enjoying a book.

I am getting ready for a run.
Zeke wants a walk.

This is the Albertson's we frequent by our house.
Instead of a Starbuck's, they have a growler bar nestled
between the wine and water aisles.

1/13/19 - This is part of Zeke and my daily 3 mile walk.
This was a quiet Sunday morning when we came upon a flock of geese.
Zeke stopped to watch them fly away along with the small child
and her dad in the foreground.

1/15/19 - A visit and lunch date with Kathy at Simplot in Downtown Boise.
I trudged through snow on my way there. It was melted by afternoon.
Meeting new friends and getting a building tour from Kathy was a highlight of the week.

Zeke's favorite spot to look longingly out the window while his mom & dad
are busy working in the adjoining den.

1/15/19 - Garrett and I attended the Boise State/Nevada game.
Fun yet I did miss my Bluejays a bit.

1/15/19 - We finally enjoyed the popular restaurant, Barbacoa, after the game.
We had tried before but couldn't get in.
The atmosphere and food was very good.

Ceiling painting at Barbacoa. It is described as an art gallery/restaurant.
Lots of cool visuals to take in.

1/16/19 - Cold in Omaha while I walked Zeke in Boise in shorts.
I do enjoy the mild temps and weather.

Pictures never quite capture the true beauty of the view from our house.
Sunset 1/17/19

1/18/19 - Zeke and I tried a new street on our walk and stumbled on this.
Beautiful copper sculpture between two very normal houses
in a very low key neighborhood.

My good puppy poses for me.

1/18/19 - There are craft breweries on every corner it seems in Boise.

We liked the apricot ale.

1/19/19 - We tried out another ski resort - Tamarack.

A good day of skiing, close to home, with powdery conditions.

Zeke came with us on our ski day and found a comfy spot.

1/20/19 - back to the airport to go back to Omaha.
I get it, City of Boise.

1/20/19 - Welcoming me to the bitter cold of Omaha.
Sunday Funday and a lot of football watching.

Welcome back to Omaha!

Lot of pictures sent of my dog when I was gone.
Garrett went out of town for a few days and Aunt Kathy puppy-sat.
Lucky puppy.


1/21/19 - I snuck away for a 9:00 Filmstreams showing.
Only 3 of us in the theater this very cold and snowy night. 

Sums up the weather in Omaha last week.

Abby was happy to see me (with no Zeke)

I got a lot of love from this girl.

1/25/19 - Closing out the week with Ben, Russ and Robbie
at the Creighton/Butler game was perfect. A pink out and a win.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal