June 19, 2014: A Garden Patch

My very own garden patch
When I met my business partner two years ago, I knew from the beginning we were on the same page. Sharing the same work ethic and understanding of all that was right and wrong in healthcare, we understood that change was due and were collectively up for the challenge. Our business languages were aligned.

But although comfortable in my existence in the consulting world, I was intrigued at the business prospect of our working together. I plodded along, charging my hourly consulting rates and questioning my next steps.

And then one quiet summer afternoon, Fergus shared with me his life quote. What he stood for. What he wanted on his grave stone. Any doubt I had went away. We shared the same motto. The one that I recited on my most difficult days and on my best days.

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

So tonight among all the crazy and along with all the good in my world, I find immense joy in my very own garden. With the colorful blossoms and tenderly cared for greens surrounding my little home, I find solace and happiness. Life is good.

The sound of a bouncing basketball from my middle child shooting hoops fills our ears as we relax in the back yard. I am surrounded by intelligent and caring people in my work life. I have healthy and happy children in my home life. A loving husband. My little garden patch helps remind me what is truly important. Success is all in the definition and I firmly believe that the best days are yet to come.
__________________________________________________
A walk through my little garden....












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal