February 18, 2014: Spencer Fair (my mother's musings)


Contributed by Mary (Pick) Wagner

Everyone loved the Clay County Fair and our kids were no exception. This photo helped capture the fond memories of that afternoon. Mark remembers Rich driving and Kathy taking the picture, and the fair being fun and thinking it was huge; Matt recalls Rich really liking the silver White tractors with CAT engines; Kathy bought incense and polished rocks for Sandy who was feeling special to have an aunt and uncle take them to the fair.


But there’s more to this story.  Unknowingly, my mother scared the daylights out of me when she left a message at the Omaha NE motel where Jim & I were staying for the weekend, to call her.  Much to their liking, our kids were staying on the Pick grandparent’s farm on Sunday and in town with the Wagner grandparents on Monday.  Always in good hands with never a worry, I thought to myself “This can’t be good.” Mom, sensing anxiety in my voice, reassured me nothing was wrong; she only wanted our permission for Richard and Kathy (my brother and sister) to take “the children” to the Spencer Fair that afternoon. It was a good day indeed. 

                                                                  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal