January 28, 2014: Daily Musings


There are a lot of difficult topics swirling in my brain today. I will save the heavier thoughts for tomorrow. Today I choose light. And as far as the other topics, I choose right. Battle garb necessary? Absolutely. But for tonight, a Jays win and smiles with my crazy kids lead the Top Ten List.

Sandy's Top Ten List: 1/28/14

10)  As I typed the title to this blog, I noticed that I used a 2013 date. <pause>. Hmmm...I was pretty sure I had done this before. When I went back to blog posts for this new year, eight out of nine 2014 posts had "2013" title dates. Oops. I have now corrected. Pretty typical of my haste in posting and later finding errors in my ways. Seldom are my oblivious oversights in proofreading pointed out to me. Thank-you to those who read for being kind and forgiving. I will try to be more conscientious of writing accuracy in future posts. To err is human and this imperfection; a perfect #10 for the day.

9)  Did I mention my new comfy jammies that I received at my bridal shower? They were the only practical gift from that night of wine and nighties. Although I loved the lacy and impractical numbers, these candy-striped cotton long johns are perfect for a cold Nebraska Tuesday night. I fly solo on Tuesdays (other than the companionship of my pup, Cookie). #9 is definitely for soft, warm jammies.

8) Grant is obsessed with The Great Gatsby. He loved the movie and can hardly contain himself in reading book. I read this book at his same age. I, too, was enamored with Daisy and Jay Gatsby. Robert Redford was the bomb in my day. And the book was even better. #8 is for common childhood interests with my kids.

7)  Ben is getting closer to committing to a college. I have a gut instinct on the best fit for him. Soon we will see if he agrees. In the meantime....I will stay out of it and say a couple of prayers. #7 is for Ben's new chapter.

6)  My Aunt Kathy got a new haircut. The bangs are fabulous and she looks ten years younger. I got my hair cut today and followed her lead. We shall see what the bangs do for me :) #6 is simply for Aunt Kathy. Everyone needs an Aunt Kathy.

5) Did I mention that Ben forgot to turn in his senior picture to the yearbook? I did my part by scheduling his pictures early in the year. Somehow the head shot required by the yearbook staff never made it to Skutt. After a few text interchanges today including a choice between two sent pictures and instructions on how to turn in (and encouragement to ask the girls' opinions on which to choose), obviously a deadline was missed. "Mom, they just took a picture of me at school with their camera." <ugh> I guess Ben's senior yearbook will be a representative keepsake of his personality. # 5 is for the stark reminder that the best parental planning can still lead to the worst results.

4) Cookie really likes me. Our dog loves Garrett, but in him absence; I am becoming a close second. I really get the dog-lover thing. Thank-you, Cookie, for making me feel important and loved while my kids remind me that I'm not that big of a deal. #4 highlight of the day...definitely having a cuddly pup.

3) Hanging with Grant. A thirteen year-old is a strange piece of art. Awkward but cute, self-absorbed but caring, old but young. Tonight Grant and I rode together to the Creighton game; listening to his strange selection of music. Purportedly these artists won awards last weekend. Grant schooled me. I don't completely get it. #3 is for trying to be an open-minded mom.

2) Brotherly love. This week is Catholic Schools Week. I received an e-mail reminder that tomorrow is "Special Friends" mass. When Grant was in his early grade school years, I would have been all over this a week in advance. Tonight I turned to Grant at the game and asked "Do you want your dad or I to go to Special Friends mass with you tomorrow?" Without hesitation, he said "no". Instead he called his oldest brother, Zach, and they organized their meeting in the morning. #2 definitely warmed this mom's heart.

1) A Jays win in the final seconds. Tonight was even more special because I was actually in town for a game and I wasn't rushed. Grant and I arrived over an hour early. We sat and watched to players warm up and then I moved about Century Link at a snail's pace. Grant eventually sought out his friends and I sought out my favorite beer cart girl. Terri inquired where I had been the last few games, as did the guys behind me in line (obviously, regulars as well). And then I took a walk around the perimeter of the auditorium, running into old and new friends. Life really is so much better when you're not rushed. I even bought a Jays sweatshirt with the new Big East logo. #1 is all about life being grand. Even in cold Omaha.

Cheers to all of your Top Ten daily musings...enjoy, my friends!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal