December 31, 2018: Goal Completed!

Ben joined me for my 100th movie of the year

Last year I finished the year with what I thought was an impressive list of 52 movies I had seen in movie theaters. At the close of 2017 I decided that although I loved my movies, it was time to refocus some of this time on reading. I equally love books. So I set a reading goal of 52 books for 2018.

My belief was that I would be spreading the time I spent in the movie theater to book reading. I have gained book reading success by just completing my 52nd book (Becoming by Michelle Obama...VERY good). But the funny thing is that yesterday I also watched my 100th movie in a movie theater for the year. Yes, that is correct. I almost doubled my movie intake while reading a book a week (previously I was averaging just over a book a month).

I love books and movies. I especially love those that make me think. The ones that stay in my brain and heart. Ones that I find myself avidly researching later or those that turn into great discussion topics over a run or wine. Filmstreams is my favorite movie venue (64 of my 100 movies were seen here) with Alamo Drafthouse in second place.

For books, I am typically drawn to historical fiction and mystery thrillers, although I am typically pleased after picking up a great memoir or nonfiction piece. This year a sci-fi (my almost least favorite genre before romance) even hit my favorite list and nonfiction made up eight of my top twelve. Broadening my horizons? Perhaps.

Although independent and indie movies are my favs and my reviews tend to mirror the critics, not the overall audience, I am a sucker for a great documentary (three on my fav list) or music themed (another three on my fav list).

Without further ado, here is my list of favorites for the year:


2018 Favorite Movies
Movie Venue
The Rider Filmstreams
Green Book Filmstreams
Hearts Beat Loud Filmstreams
A Star is Born Filmstreams
Leave No Trace Filmstreams
Lean on Pete Filmstreams
Free Solo Filmstreams
RBG Filmstreams
Three Identical Brothers Filmstreams
Black Panther Mainstream Theater
Bohemian Rhapsody Mainstream Theater
Mary Poppins Returns Mainstream Theater
2018 Favorite Books
Book Author
Educated Tara Westover
Essay's from Eighties Donald Hall
Bad Blood John Carreyrou
Becoming Michelle Obama
Vengeful V.E. Schwab
Before We Were Yours Lisa Wingate
Rabbit Patricia Williams
Then She Was Gone Lisa Jewell
In Pieces Sally Field
Personal History Katharine Graham
Driving Miss Norma Tim Bauerschmidt
All We Ever Wanted Emily Griffin



It was a very good year in overall selections. Just going through my lists from 2018 with corresponding personal ratings was a fun look back. I haven't yet decided on goals for 2019. I guess I technical have a few more hours to decide and I very well may sleep on it.

I do know that I am going to start a list on best podcasts of the year as I find myself constantly sharing the good ones with friends. I love my podcasts and would estimate that I listened to well over 200 this past year (favorite shows are This American Life, The Moth, How I Built This, and Alan Alda's Clear and Vivid).

As a final note as I bid 2018 farewell and look forward to rolling into Boise tomorrow afternoon: 

I have found an indie movie theater in Boise! The Flicks is described on-line as 'a small intimate theater with interesting movies and good wine in Downtown Boise'. I am looking forward to meeting some new people as I check out the venue.

Here's to great entertainment that generates engaging discussion in 2019! I encourage everyone to make the time to set some goals for yourself next year while going outside your comfort zone on occasion. 

I'd love to hear what resounded for you this last year. What are your must reads or recommended movies?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal