July 30,2018: And Then There Were None

Baby is off
6:00 am and he was gone. I've never seen Grant move so fast so early in the morning. Never. And not a tear shed by me. Not one.

With barely enough time to remind him, yet one more time, to drive safely; listing off every potential driving threat in the 512 mile stretch to Greeley, CO. He murmured something about talking to me later in the week, closing his door before hearing my response.

"Later in the week? Why don't you call me on your way?"

Grant gave a smile. I haven't a clue whether he actually heard me, didn't care or thought my request was funny.

And then he was off.

I distinctly remember the day I packed up my car and moved into the Westmar dormitory when I was eighteen. My mom similarly described my exit as the quickest she had ever seen.

College living began at home for me. My parents thought it made the most financial sense (which it did) to save the housing cost as I attended a college nine miles away. I thought otherwise but grudgingly made the commute each day, lamenting on all the fun I was missing out on campus.

Then winter came and with the first dust of snow and ice, I convinced Mom and Dad that the daily drive was now too dangerous. Within hours I had my room cleared out and packed into my maroon Ford sedan. I never had a thought to look out my rearview mirror to see my mom as she watched her youngest fly out of the nest. It was all about the road ahead for me.

Those were amazing years, meeting new friends and basking in my new independence. And never did I have a hint of homesickness. Garrett's dad tells a similar story when Garrett left for Purdue. He couldn't get out of town fast enough.

Last night as I laid in bed hearing Grant rummaging around with last minute packing, he and I exchanged a few texts. As we reminisced a bit about the last couple of years, he told me how it was 'amazing'. When I told him the best was yet to come, his answer was 'I am so excited'.

I am excited for you too, Grant.

As his taillights disappeared into the distance at 6:01 am, I quietly sipped my hot coffee with Zeke perched next to me. Garrett was already off on a bike ride and the birds were chirping their early morning wake-up call.

My new normal doesn't feel so bad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal