January 22, 2020: Old Guy and Me (all teeth)

Durango mug shots

We are a week into our Durango adventure.

Larry and I arrived last Tuesday night. On a scale from 1 to 10, we ranked our road trip an 8 for our 1,200 miles cross country together. Keep in mind, this is blended rating for our trip. By 5 pm last Tuesday, when we arrived at our storage unit in Durango after four days of driving, we were done. We were at a low score of a five.

I was driving too fast. Larry was driving too slow. Four days on the road and we were delirious.

And then Garrett interjected into our scene. Cool. Calm. The peacemaker.

The three of us worked together to unload Larry's truck into the storage unit before dark with his U-Haul trailer returned shortly thereafter. With a visit to a local craft brewery and a warm dinner later, we were all good. Our new trio + Zeke was revived and ready to embark on our new adventure.

Yes, all is good in the world. It is amazing what a good night's sleep and unpacking can do for a person.

Fast forward a week and we are all comfortable, calm, and almost completely settled in.

My best analogy of our living situation is either modern day version of "Three's Company" or the senior citizen's take on "The Bachelor". I am going to stick with Three's Company. That would make me the Jack of our trio and Old Guy, Chrissy. Enough said on that for now.

Larry enjoying a 'hand-off'
approach to the cooking
We have also officially retired both Larry and Garrett from cooking. I have gladly taken over. My purchase of the newest edition of The Joy of Cooking has given me great joy in my official cooking role. I LOVE to cook. Although my new go-to cookbook is copyright 2019, I have eight prior editions of the Joy of Cooking in storage (thanks, Mom). Every day we figure out our work schedules (for non-retired Garrett and me), what Durango to-do's we need to accomplish (mainly me and Old Guy) and the food plan (all me).

We have found a rhythm.

Today was the busy day for us. Larry and I hit the big three: Social Security Administration, Driver's License Office, and DMV. Please give us a collective moment of silence...

 But we did it. All were accomplished. Old Guy and me rated our collective experience today as 2.25 out of 3.

The SS Administration had excellent customer service. Durango DMV was a close second. But now let's talk about the driver's license process. Oh boy.

Rather than a full Twitter-like rant, I am gong to focus on the last moment of our DMV disappointment. The mean guy running the photo taking booth wouldn't let me smile for my license picture.

"No teeth!" he snarled at me. I quickly abided, which resulted in a mug shot for my driver's license. Nebraska let me smile for my driver's license. But DMV guy did not care what Nebraska allowed.

I quickly got over it. It's just a driver's license and a 2.5 out of 3 is a great score for a full day of governmental visits. And I actually kind of like the Bonnie and Clyde look Old Guy and I have on our Driver's licenses.

Finishing our a full day, Larry had a great idea.

"We really need a glass of wine. It's been a long day, but a good day."

I couldn't disagree. He asked where to go and I told him to just drive. We would find the right place.

Driving up College Drive to our house, we saw a sign "Tavern" on the side of the road.

"Pull in," I said.

It was perfection.

Small. Cozy. And just a little bit seedy.

There were cowboy hats and pool playing. We found out the timing of the annual rodeo from the table of ranchers and the young bartender let us know about other local happenings.

After warming up with small talk with our bartender, I had to ask the favor.

"They wouldn't let us show our teeth for our new licenses. Can you take a picture of the two of us, all teeth?"

Cute bar waitress was all over it and Larry and I obliged with wide grins.

All is good in the world. But from here on out we are smiling, regardless of the rules.

Our picture of choice (when DMV guy was out of the picture!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal