January 13, 2020: Old Guy and Me (we're not in Kansas anymore...)

Prosecco and Scotch kind of night. We are in Colorado!!

Three Hampton Inn stays, four states covered, two time zone changes, seven McDonald's stops, one ice storm endured, and 1,085 miles logged.

No, Dorothy, it certainly isn't Kansas anymore.

After 400 miles across Kansas and a Mountain Time switch, we crossed the Colorado border early this afternoon. With sunny skies and dry roads, it was a drastic change from our crawl into Junction City, KS last night.

With me following Larry in his pick-up + U-Haul, our speed was at a steady 40 MPH last night as we navigated over icy bridges on the Kansas Interstate stretch. My last count was seven cars and one semi that had slid off the road. The temp dropped to a perfect ice storm of 28 degrees. Not cold enough to turn to snow, but not warm enough to avoid icing over.

Although mentally spent, we made it to our hotel destination safely. With a quick dinner and the viewing of a Packers impressive game start, Larry was down for the count early. I enjoyed an hour or so of quiet while getting my sea legs back on before Day 3 of our travel to Durango.

Waking up to another wonderful Hampton Inn breakfast this morning, Larry and I were both refreshed and thrilled to find the road to Colorado clear. Today was a seamless drive westward.

Zeke getting cozy with Apollo and Grant
I cannot tell a lie, the Rocky Mountains never looked so good as we drove toward the Denver horizon. Tomorrow morning my oldest son, Zach, will bring to me my very missed dog, Zeke. He, Grant and Addie (Grant's girlfriend) have been dog-sitting my boy #4 for over a week. Zeke has been enjoying his time with both human (3) and dog (2) companionship, but it's time to get back to a new normal.

Larry and I have our travel routine down to a science, but are also anxious to start our a new Durango routine. I have to say, it is very apparent that Larry has many years of driving under his belt as a 30+ years as a Shell employee. Many of these years he drove a Shell truck. Let me tell you, he is still on his game. Following him these 1,000+ miles has been a dream. It was Larry who called and walked me through how to best navigate the ice. It was Larry who has led me through the city interstate spaghetti bowls.

But it was all me who helped the Kansas City Chiefs to a win for Sunday's game. Yes, I am going to take full credit and will share my story. It was me who changed up the karma with a little push from my middle son, Ben.

Garrett warned me as Larry and I drove toward Kansas City on Sunday. There was a big game going on, but we would likely miss a majority of the traffic based on our travel timing. Having three sons who love football and likely watching the game, and having gone to several Chief's games with the three of them, I was excited to call Ben first and to ask the question...

"Just guess where I am?? Guess what stadium I am driving by right now??"


motherly affirmation
Knowing I was traveling cross-country through the midwest, it didn't take Ben long to name Arrowhead Stadium. It also didn't take him long to tell me our Chief's were down 21-0 and not looking good. Ben was in Lincoln, NE watching the game with his friend Brian, a big Chief's fan.

Feeling their pain, I promised a special blessing to change the karma as I passed the stadium. Quickly hanging up the phone, I opened my window and extended a hand (palm-down) repeating prayerful words in Latin that I had heard before and a "Please, God, get the Chief's going to a win!"

Two hours later at our next stop, I sent a text to Ben asking how I did (see text exchange screenshot). and we will leave the rest to history. Chief's fans, you are welcome!

Tonight we are watching the College National Championship game. Larry and I enjoyed another nice dinner down the road from Hampton Inn #3 (God bless you, Hilton Honor Points). We are staying in the Denver Airport area, readying ourselves for our last stretch 'home'. Our new home. Sounds weird, but feels just right.

Durango or bust. We got this.

Rocky Mountains in the background. I am as thrilled as Old Guy to get this far!!

Colorado sign to the right and Larry just ahead
(no commentary, I wasn't looking...just blindly taking a bunch of pix)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal