November 23, 2015: Road Trip - Day 1

My views out the truck window 
Road Trip 2015 started today. With great anticipation, we boarded a plane to Indianapolis and immediately proceeded to Kokomo, Indiana to pick up a 26 foot rental truck. The journey begins.

An early morning with little sleep from the previous night led to some initial grumpiness on my part. As Garrett and I always start our day, I read out loud our daily devotional from the phone app "Jesus Calling". Never disappointing, the reading for the day hit home again.

My prickly demeanor was gone with a reminder of gathering daily bouquets...

"As you go through this day, look for tiny treasures strategically placed along the way. I lovingly go before you and plant little pleasures to brighten your day. Look carefully for them, and pluck them one by one. When you reach the end of the day, you will have gathered a lovely bouquet. Offer it up to Me with a grateful heart. Receive My Peace as you lie down to sleep, with thankful thoughts playing a lullaby in your mind."

It really is amazing the little treasures we find in everyday life if we live it with eyes wide and open hearts.

Our day is about to come to a close. Monday night football plays on the television as I enjoy conversation with my husband and father-in-law. Flannels and slippers have replaced our winter outerwear. The big yellow truck is parked in the street. The hum of the furnace with mysterious creaks and crackles fill the hundred year old house.

I sit back with a smile and review my bouquet of the day...

  • A plane filled with traveling young families bringing their babies home for the holidays. Nothing more pure than the smiling face of a baby. A loving puppy is a close second.
  • My first trip to a White Castle. Who knew such sliders slathered with onions existed? Hours later, we are still tasting them.
  • Catching up on life with my father-in-law. As we meandered through the Indiana county roads in his truck, Garrett trailed us in the big yellow truck.
  • Relaxation and putting my phone away. A gift I should give myself daily.
  • A fall sunset.
  • My father-in-law's homemade blueberry wine (anyone remember 'the recipe' from the Baldwin Sisters? hint...Walton Mountain).
  • Christmas shopping. The list is long, but the goal is small and thoughtful gifts for friends and family near and afar. Lots of work, but lots of fun. Who knew there were so many treasures on-line? I now understand why so many Amazon packages are delivered for the Lane boys.
  • A random text from an old friend.
  • A thankful note from a co-worker.
  • A thoughtful call from a son.
  • Loved the OWH story on Dick Van Dyke's call to HS theater director. I always loved this fictional husband to Mary Tyler Moore and penguin dancing man. I now love him even more. supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!
  • Fresh homemade apple pie awaiting my sweet tooth husband. And his pleasure in a second helping. 
Some would say today was an ordinary day with nothing of note. A call this a good day.

Larry Brucker special

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal