December 15, 2019: Durango or Bust

Old Guy (Larry's nickname from cousin Judy) and me
From my recent trip to help orchestrate our many life moves

We have news.

And the best kind - good news.

We are on the move again! Our adventure in Boise will come to a close as we ring in the new year. 2020 will bring a change of address to Durango, Colorado.

Why you ask?

My answer? Pretty much....why not?

Life is grand when the world is your oyster and you allow yourself to think that way. So here is the more detailed story on how we came up with Durango...

Knowing our short-term rental in Boise was done at the end of the year, Garrett and I discussed our next steps over some cocktails mid-summer. We tentatively decided to stay in Boise for another year, feeling like we hadn't yet experienced all Boise and Idaho had to offer. We have really enjoyed our time here. I summed up my experience in one word - joyful.

Holding that thought under our cap, we moved through the summer. I did some work in Colorado in late August, sending scenic pictures to Garrett. This pulled at his mountain-man heartstrings with him missing the green beauty of the Colorado Rockies. The mountain ranges here in Boise fall in the high desert where brown is their new color from the heat of the summer.

Another date night ensued in early September when Garrett threw out the idea of moving to Durango instead of staying in Boise. Durango was high on our master list (yes, we really have a detailed list of our top city choices) and why not go new if we needed to move anyway?

My response, "Sure. Why not?"

There is a few things to note as it relates to Garrett and my combined city list:

  • Garrett's highest rankings are based on access to recreation and nature's beauty.
  • I rank highest the people - both being close to my loved ones and the heart of the people who make up the community where I live.
  • Both of us like mild winters and lots of sun.
Durango hits our criteria. It is a gorgeous place to live with nature's playground in our backyard. But more importantly, it is closer to my parents and my boys in Denver. It is also a city we visited with Garrett's dad, Larry, who loved it as much as we did.

As Garrett and I discussed this idea of another big move, I sent Larry a text to feel him out on the idea of moving with us.

Me: "I think we are moving to Durango. You in?"

Larry: "What a coincidence. My neighbor was just over and wanted to know if I was ready to sell my house. I told him I had no place to go. How about that??"

The rest is pure fate. I really believe there is a master plan for all of us. If we live our days with open minds and hearts, it all falls together. So there you have it. The three of us and Zeke are moving to Durango. Garrett, Zeke and I will drive down over New Year's and get settled prior to Larry joining us. Larry has sold his house and I will fly to Indiana to help him move out after the first of the year. 

Thank-you Boise! You have been an amazing experience that I will savor until my last hurrah here. And there are fun times ahead in these last two weeks. But soon it will be time to change my hashtag. Oh, and I may or may not have a new blog series starting in January called Old Guy and Me. More to come on that!

#theboiseadventure
#durangoorbust
#oldguyandme

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal