February 15, 2019: The Boise Adventure | The Life of a Dog


Zeke decides to steal the driver's seat after his dog park adventure

With Boise's typical sunny skies and high desert warmth (that seems to avoid the midwestern cold), we humans + dog are acclimating well to our new surroundings. The only difference between the humans and the dog is that he misses his snowy back yard and furry playmates in Omaha. 

I keep reminding myself that if my biggest worry over the move is the proper socialization of the pup, we are in good shape. But it doesn't stop me from feeling bad for Zekers. As his human brothers before him, Zeke really loved the open run of our Omaha yard. With the house situated on a busy path for neighborhood dog-walkers and neighboring dogs, Zeke had constant interaction with both dogs and people.

Boise is a whole new environment for him. We are living in the foothills, overlooking the city, and although our cozy retreat is perfect for Garrett and me, Zeke gets bored quickly. The quiet of our little house offers virtually no foot traffic or neighbors (and no fenced-in backyard).

Furry friends forever
Zeke & Lucy
An added strain for our big pup is his separation from his best bud, Lucy.

Lucy is my grand-dog. With Lucy and my son, Ben, just a short drive away from Omaha in Lincoln, Zeke and Lucy were constant companions before our move. Inseparable, they insisted on sleeping in the same crate together each night and would tear up (literally) the back yard together for hours. Now over a thousand miles apart and with no new friends or activities close by, Zeke had been getting lonely.

So as any good empty-nesting-mom-with-no-human-kids-home-to-worry-about would do, I have gotten resourceful.

Problem resolution #1: Doggy Parks

Our oversized fur ball needed some animal interaction and culturing of his own. Boise is a very dog-friendly city with many parks and open off-leash spaces to choose from.

Zeke in his state of constant motion
As a one car family (second vehicle still in Omaha) our first dog park adventure was one I found by Garrett's work in Meridian. After dropping him off at work in the morning, Zeke and I have made our way to the Story Bark Park.

A needed social venue for the dog has also turned into a social event for his human mom. I quickly found this setting to be similar to parents hanging out at a park with their young kids.

Many of the dog owners greeted each other and shared with me each dog's name and a few tidbits on their unique personality. Most everyone knew each other, dogs and humans alike, as this seemed to be part of their morning routine.

Zeke loved his new friends and went non-stop. Although exhausted when we left, he eagerly watched from the driver's seat, hoping for a second chance to romp around while I packed up. I did not humor him in his wishes with him instead taking a nice long nap once we got home.

Problem Resolution #2: My New Running Partner

We hit a milestone with Zeke nearing his one year birthday. I can now officially take him with me on runs. This morning was only the second time he and I have run together, but has proven to be great company for both of us.

There is a cold reality with Idaho living as it relates to me; I really miss my running gal pals. I mean, I REALLY miss my morning runs with them. Although our lives over our last 20 years of running together have progressed from marathon training to more of a shuffle, I have always considered this hour one of the best hours of my day, solving the world's problems and sharing life. Although we get together when I am back in Omaha, my old routine of a morning run has been absent.

Here is where Zeke slides in, creating a new Idaho running routine. A new adventure brings a new running partner. And although he can't share with me his favorite new podcast or give advice on whether I should take on a new project, our nonverbal communication is equally joyous.

Rainy but golden!
We have found a regular route that takes us past a busy garden nursery, a grade school, a small track around a park, and through a neighborhood. I can listen to my favorite parts of the Star is Born Soundtrack with Zeke at my side.

Our first run was in a light rain during school drop off time. Zeke couldn't have been more thrilled. There were other dogs, scents, and action abound. And the cool drizzle was an added treat for our hot-blooded dog.

Slowly we are all finding our groove and acclimating to the Pacific Northwest together. Garrett is off to work daily while Zeke and I sort things out at home. And although some of our daily adventures may sound boring to most, the adventure is really what you make of it.

Going new is fun. Zeke finds joy in the smallest of life's pleasures. We can all learn a lot from the life of a dog.


The tail forever wagging here!

Friends abound and lessons in good manners

Zeke's view from the driver's seat
"Mom, I want to go back!"

Still missing my running gal pals
(Saturday morning mimosas post-run for Tam's b-day - a blog story by itself)





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal