August 19, 2018: Happiness

Lucy & Zeke....BFF's

Happiness. What really is this in it's most simplistic form? We humans struggle with it daily, but our dog counterparts seem to have it figured out. A nip, a romp, and play in the backyard demonstrate everything true to bliss.

I have dog envy.

They make it look so easy.

Mid-life or quarter-life crisis, getting old, empty nests, finding meaning...crisis' of different forms, but definitely an overthinking of our lives vs the love of the moment as demonstrated by our pup pets.

Life is such a funny movement of time. We think we have it all figured out as we stroll through the days in a comforting hum. And then the routine changes, some a natural evolution and some a shock to reality, but we keep on plodding forward. Chin up and eye on the next trophy. That's the easy way, but really not an exercise in reflection, but a futile attempt to stay busy.

And then I watch my dog. His love for me is unconditional and he has no problem spreading this love among my husband, sons, and step-son (with an extra special affection for his 'dog-niece', Lucy...an inseparable romping that is exhausting). As I overthink every new step I take, Zeke gives me his doggy love as a reminder that every day is a joy with many pieces of happiness that fill my days.

My past life has been filled with planning every day, every month, the next year to fill my family and personal goals. All with laughs and accomplishments along the way, but a very defined plan. Then a day inevitably comes with no defined plan. The kids now execute their plans on their own and my hubby and I are free agents. Life is good (or so I'm told), but it is definitely a new normal.

The roadmap is gone. Everything is up for grabs; the place to live, how to fill days, what I want to create and grow, with whom I want to spend my days...

I seriously can't remember a time when I had so many options with nothing holding me back. This is a very exciting situation, but equally as scary.

There are lots of options with hopefully lots of time, this being great unknown outside my control. Having the ability to choose life options is a wonderful thing. Life without handcuffs and nothing but an opportunity is the best situation, but feeling as equally difficult.

Then I look at my dog as I overthink my predicament. My beautiful golden beast of Zeke embraces each day with unconditional love, openness, and opportunity. He finds friends in the most obscure places. He jumps in wonder through the grass of the morning sun looking for the small things that bring him joy in the day.  A butterfly or squirrel provide limitless entertainment. A nap and a pet from a human bring new energy to grasp the day with a fresh set of doggy eyes.

Wonder. Love. Energy. Curiosity. Boundless happiness...

A Dog's life. No judging or overthinking, just living and running through the grass.

Sounds like a perfect plan.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal