May 15, 2018: It's You Girl and You Should Know It...

My own version of throwing my hat up in the air in Downtown Omaha
I've always been a sucker for the old TV shows. The true vintage stuff; Andy Griffith (Opie will always be dear to my heart), I Love Lucy and my personal fav...Mary Tyler Moore, just to name a few.

As I child I would nestle in with my mom or grandma and watch these shows on one of our three available television channels after carefully adjusting the TV bunny ears. When most girls dreamed of being Farrah Fawcett from Charlie's Angels, I wanted to be Mary.

As a young adult, I was given the guilty pleasure of Nick at Nite where I could watch Lucy and Ethel gobble chocolates right after watching Lou bellow "Mary!!!" from his office. Many times there was a sleeping child in my arms as I was rocking away, finding my favorite channel surfing the cable line-up. Classic TV never got old.

I haven't thought of my favorite 70's role model, Mary Tyler Moore, in a while. Other than seeing old clips and reading articles when she passed away, it's been years since I enjoyed the Chuckles the Clown episode. 

Today I thought of Mary again. Maybe it was the atmosphere in Downtown Omaha. Maybe it was the women's conference I attended, 2,500 strong, covering all ages and backgrounds. Omaha is not Minneapolis and it is not the 70's, but Mary was front of mind as I walked barefoot, stilettos in hand, across Lot D of the Century Link parking lot this afternoon.

Maybe it was the lyrics to her theme song...

"How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving"

 I was humming with heels in hand after I determined the wait too long to get out of the said parking lot. Too long of a wait and too nice of a day. After I noticed I was 20 minutes into my podcast with the only movement the length of one car during this time, I passed the car in front of me and parked instead.

Other conference participants looked at me like a crazed woman taking a stand as I walked barefoot against the line of cars and proceeded to the Marriott patio bar across from Century Link. An hour of quiet time outside of the traffic rush to compose my thoughts, write a few words, and enjoy a small glass of wine on a beautiful May day.

I have attended this conference many times over the years. In years past I would buy a corporate table or plan to attend with a group of women. This year I didn't think twice about signing up on my own and seeking out new and old friends upon arrival. When asked 'who are you here with?', it occurred to me that it never crossed my mind to check first on who else was attending or make it a group event. I have definitely become comfortable in my own skin to handle almost anything as a solo, knowing there is no such thing as solo with a sold out event.

After excellent keynote speeches and break-out presenters on a packed day at the ICAN Women's Leadership Conference, I felt energized and a bit reflective. Women gathered from near and far to celebrate authenticity, strong leadership, and simply the joy of womanhood.

Women empowering women. Leadership. Service. Taking a stand.

And a step further for me at a personal level as my baby is graduating from high school this weekend. A new phase of motherhood. My life to continue as an open book. Where? How? Many questions and not a lot of answers. 

At least not yet.

But it's my book to write with an open page for me with Garrett to begin our new chapter. Our chapter will begin as an empty-nest couple, free of any corporate handcuffs.

I smiled, sitting back reading my notes from the day with thoughts of Mary Richards still on my mind. The hat toss, her independence and spark for life. Always a smile on her face, even with a few low-attended parties. Her Rhoda is my Angelique. Lots of laughs and lots of life.

There was a reason I always loved Mary and saw her girl-next-door brunette self as a role-model. Independence and love for life are what you make of them. And with a smile on your face while you do it (and possibly while walking barefoot)... a winning combination.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal