April 25, 2018: Hot Tub Time Machine


Life is always a fun adventure. And then you blink and it's 30 years later. Or 10, or 20...

Life in 1985 was certainly different than life in 2018. Today was a reminder of this. I thought deeply on this reflection as I soaked in my backyard hot tub reminiscing on my years past and the friendships that have filled these many years in between.

Hot tub time machine...

<apologies if you don't understand this meaning...I suggest you Google>

Today was a normal day for me in comparison to my days of late. I worked with an ongoing client on building something great.  I made sure son #3 continues to survive his senior year rather than moving on to his long-awaited days of independence. And I spent time with my husband, who now lives in the same city as me (I suggest you read previous blog posts if this statement makes no sense to you). We now have the a blissful daily routine that centers around living together. These are simple life pleasures that are immeasurable from a quality of life standpoint.

But one thing is for sure, life keeps moving at a rapid speed. As I went through the motions of daily living this afternoon, I got a random text.

A group text with five participants. Our last group interchange was over a month ago. This time our 'conversation' started with a simple photo from Laura...


Within minutes a barrage of responses followed from "it's 5 o'clock somewhere!" to "Great day for a beer outside".

3 states. 4 cities. 5 women. All graduates from the Remsen St. Mary's class of 85 (44 total students).

And our friendship continues, far beyond the year 1985 and far beyond our circle of five. By all accounts, our entire class makes a huge effort to stay connected.

Here is the whole clan who came to our last class reunion. (+Fr. Eisele)..


This group text was golden and much needed on a busy Wednesday afternoon. A reminder of lifelong friendships and years long past. A reminder that someone cares and knows me deeply. There is no better breaking of bread than sharing of life with childhood friends. A link to our precious past is even more golden as we watch our own children graduate and we reach empty-nester status. The high school memories are so real as we watch our own children come of age.

Hot tub time machine.

And so the group text continued with emojis and clever comments. I smiled, peeking at my phone while continuing light conversation with those around me. My Remsen girls always make me smile as I reflect on all our childhood memories, and now our annual get-togethers (acting like children again).

As I fathomed the concept of group texts of today back to the minds of our 18-year-old selves, I added this comment to our group chat:

"Imagine the 5 of us on a dirt road in 1985 discussing our future as 50 year-olds sharing 'group texts'. Total hot-tub-time-machine"

I tried picturing this scenario in our 80's world of no cell phones with just an introduction to cable TV. Family lines were high tech to us. How could we ever understand a world of instant connection through this little device called a smartphone? With a click of a button, 5 women in 4 cities in 3 states all shared a smile in time by just viewing a picture of a Mich Ultra.

The answer from Lora to my pondering question was classic, "1985 us would be so impressed with 50 year-old us in so many ways!"

Amen to that, ladies. This little interchange made my day.

A few of the gals from Class of 85 :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal