July 11, 2015: A Day at Think

View from Floor 2 of Think Whole Person Healthcare
We survived Week 1. Think. Launch. Go-live. A vision becoming reality.

'Survived' may come across as a word to give pause. But given 300+ employees on their first day in a new job, a newly christened building, and many loyal patients anxious to connect with their trusted physicians; the word is fitting.

And we did just that. With smiles on our faces and perseverance to achieve a common mission of patient-focused healthcare, we combated the obstacles before us. Each day continues to be a step closer to the excellence we will achieve.

In the real world, life happens contrary to our best plans. Just as our sick patients didn't anticipate a trip to the doctor, Think also dealt with the unexpected over the course of our first week of operations.

Exhausted at times, I found myself walking around the building taking in it's beauty and the refreshment of the patient interactions happening throughout. My new routine is to take occasional breaks from numbers and work flow and simply 'walk the building'.

On Wednesday, I did just that. The blessing I received was unscripted. A Godwink reminder of why I am so dedicated to Think.

The time was mid-morning with sun bursting through our northern-facing rose window. As I walked to the stairway leading from Floor 2 to 1, a song playing from our Floor 3 Steinway piano stopped me in my tracks.

The rendition to Amazing Grace was exceptional. One that I hadn't yet heard played yet on our automatic recorder. This song has always brought tears to my eyes as I remember fondly close friends and family who had this song played at their passing. The clarity and expression was so special, my eyes raised to find the typically empty piano seat occupied.

Nestled onto the piano with fingers delicately stroking the ivories was an elderly woman in a wheelchair. Behind her was her husband who had moved the stool and placed his wife in the comfort of a keyboard she was obviously accustomed. And the result was amazing. The shuffle of the first floor pharmacy and coffee bar stood still as all eyes were on the lovely elderly patient graciously sharing her gift with us.

With another song to follow and a rousing round of applause, the man put the piano stool back in place and wheeled his wife to the elevator. Any printer problems or login issues to our new software were a distant memory as I was reminded of the wonderful people we serve and why we all came together to make this vision a reality. Every patient matters and only they know what brings them happiness. We are simply the facilitators to help them achieve the best quality of life as defined by them.

Out of pure curiosity, I called Schmitt Music, from whom we bought the used Steinway. After listening to the patient pianist and observing her joy, it became important to me to inquire in the story behind the piano. Certainly it's prior owners have provided the good kharma that has now translated into our building. Doug from Schmitt was eager to assist. He did verify the piano was made in 1903 and has a call out to it's prior owner. Once I hear back, I will share the story.

Somehow I think there will be many more stories to be told on our little third floor treasure. And I will certainly keep walking the building to capture them. Life is meant to be lived.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal