October 6, 2018: Last Stop...The Boys!

Day 29 | 30 Days of Writing

Grant's Instagram...loved this post.
We miss you, Ben Lane!


I can't believe it has been 29 days of writing and 15 days on our road trip. Seriously?

Today was a bit of a marathon, but with a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. I will start at the end and work my way back.

It is 9:51 pm and we are getting ready to go to bed. Down for the count at a Country Inn and Suites in Greeley, Colorado. This will be the 15th consecutive night at either a hotel or guest bed. And all with a seven month old pup at our side. Not an easy feat, but Zeke has been unbelievably well behaved, until I jinxed it by saying last night that he hadn't gotten up in the middle of the night for a while.

Our sweet Zekerdoodle responded with a wake up call at 2 am (thank-you, Garrett, for taking care of him). He is now outside with Garrett again for the second time in a hour after whining by the hotel door (Garrett creds again).

Time to go home.

The hotel is fine. It's clean and in a safe area (as were most on our trip, but there were some exceptions), but the first where we had a bit of controversy. As Garrett so correctly noted, we were actually lucky this was the only time we had issues. We have stayed at nine hotels in total with specific requests to accommodate a dog and separate rooms (accommodate father-in-law). Knowing these specifications, my very dutiful husband carefully booked all rooms in advance and prepaid for most to ensure the correct accommodations.

Tonight we were exhausted as we pulled into our last stop. Coming from a filling dinner with my son's, Zach and Grant, we were ready to get comfy and spend some time with the boys before turning in for an early morning departure for home.

Garrett sent me in to get the room key as we thought this would simply be a 'check the box' exercise. And then the smiling twenty year-old girl at the front desk threw a wrench into our carefully orchestrated plan.

Front Desk Girl: "Oh, that room with the suite went to someone else. Instead I have one room with two queen beds for you!"

<cute smile with overly white teeth>

Me: "Huh? We prepaid and secured this specific suite with two bedrooms two weeks ago. We chose this hotel only for that option. We really need two separate rooms."

<exhaustingly show her my confirmation e-mail on my phone. no sorority smile from me with glare from bags under eyes instead>

Front Desk Girl: "Oh, I think it was a maintenance problem. So that room really isn't available. Instead I have one room with two queen beds for you!"

Me: "Let me get my husband."

I walked outside to explain our dilemma to Garrett and lean on him to use his diplomatic ways to find the best resolution. I next called my boys who were on their way to join us at our so-noted hotel.

Per Grant, my very serious commentary to them was:

"Shit is goin' down."

Yes, that is purportedly what I said. Blame it on the exhaustion. Blame it on the wine. But the end result was my sons #1 and #3 thinking this was the funniest thing they heard in a while. I am back to providing entertainment to the boys with a new 'mom story'. The perfect way to end the night.

Our day was a good one and included our last scenic tour of the trip, taking the loop around the Flaming Gorge (when I text this to Zach, he responded that it sounded like an an STD). Regardless of the name connotation, it was a beautiful reservoir and recreation area located in southwest Wyoming and looping into northwest Utah.

Our drive to reach our final destination of Greeley, Colorado was a four hour jaunt. I took the backseat with Zeke and spent the time thinking about the last time I saw these boys, now residents of Greeley. It had been since July for Grant and May for Zach. I really do miss my kids, but it makes it easier knowing they are loving their lives in Colorado. A good thing. Exactly what a parent wants when the baby birds fly the nest.

The hugs were tight upon arrival and  Zach's dog, Luna, was equally happy to see Zeke. Our dinner at Roma's Pizza (door states best pizza in Greeley) was eclectic and fun. Although short in time, just spending time with the boys and seeing them happy was a highlight of the trip. They really like Colorado. They really didn't like the Nebraska loss(es), but that's another conversation. There will be better days for their favorite team. Once a Husker, always a Husker.

As for our hotel room, the end result was our getting two separate rooms. Thank-you, Country Inn. A very good alternative to our prepaid room and your prepaid promise. Larry is thrilled with his own space. Zeke seems pretty happy as well....

Zeke gets his own bed

(Pics from Flaming Gorge)

Zeke puts on his Iowa bandana for Uncle Matt


Dam at the Gorge

Boats launching at base of dam

Zeke enjoying the Visitor's Center








A common picture of Zeke waiting for his humans

Road to Greeley...can see Rockies in the horizon


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal