July 10, 2016: Continued Genuine Support



Today Robbie and I ran a 5K.

At 7:00 a.m.

In Council Bluffs.

And our husbands joined us. "Continuous genuine support" Robbie posted on our adventure. A true statement, although a little tongue
in cheek.

Truth be told, neither husband had planned on joining us for our little escapade. But I think they are both glad they did, as are their spousal runners.

It all started last week with some text interchanges between me and Robbie. We felt like we needed a race on the calendar. Something to keep us motivated and an excuse to run together. After some Google searching, we decided on the Beat the Heat 5K this morning. With a quick on-line sign-up, we were committed.

My next logical step was to add this event to my Outlook calendar and invite Garrett. Truth be told again, my sending the invitation is more of a placeholder to keep my husband in the loop and our calendars in sync. His acceptance of this invitation traditionally does not automatically mean he is bound to attend.

But he did accept and I did twist it a bit a week later to indicate otherwise.

Fast forward to last night. Garrett and I were winding down, getting ready for bed, when Garrett coyly asked what our next day looked like. Likely he had eyed the calendar event on his iPad.

Without missing a beat, I reminded him of the race in the morning and that we would need to get up at 5:20 a.m. Did he remember accepting the Outlook invite from me the week before? Garrett didn't remember us discussing him joining me <silence by Sandy> and then reminded me that Sunday morning was the best stage of the Tour de France. He would like to watch it live. Did he really need to go with me?

Appalled, I listed off a litany of reasons why he should...

It was the 'right' thing to do.

It would be so nice to have him there with me.

I named off everything in my elephant recollection of past undesirable events over the last six years when I accompanied him.

I threw in the fact that we hadn't done anything socially all weekend and this was our 'big event'. We were going out with Russ and Robbie, but instead of drinks and dinner, it was a run and breakfast.

And then the clincher...

Garrett: "Russ is going?"

Me: "Of course. Russ always supports Robbie on her runs. You need to be there to support me too."

<I hold my breath, not really knowing why I want Garrett to go, other than to win this battle of wills>

Garrett hesitates, but then can't help himself.

<audible laugh with accompanying eye roll>

Garrett: "You are running a 5k and it's in Council Bluffs. That's 3 miles, Sandy, and a short drive across the river. You need support for this??"

Now I do have to admit that the half-marathon in Lincoln was a bit more of an endeavor then this weekend's 5K. And it was very nice on that rainy Sunday in May to have our husbands greet us at the finish of thirteen+ miles. But it would be equally as nice to have Russ and Garrett with us this time as well.

Determined not to give in on two accounts: No forgiveness for the eye roll and breakfast with the four of us increasingly sounded like a great idea.

Me: "Yes, I do need your support. Russ gives Robbie his and doesn't even think twice about it, whether it's a 5K or a half-marathon!"

And then my husband did what he always does so well. He was kind and sweet. With a peck on the cheek, but with his eyes still laughing at what he saw as comedy in my argument, we set the early morning alarm for my race and his support.

The first alarm, his watch, went off at 4:30 due to operator error on my part (oops). I stayed asleep until the 'real' alarm at 5:20. Garrett remained up for an hour, unable to fall back asleep as he 'anxiously' awaited our big morning.

Off to the races, we picked up Russ and Robbie to begin our run/group support/social event. As Russ and Robbie climbed into the back seat, Robbie didn't miss a beat to comment on Garrett's presence.

Robbie: "Garrett, I can't believe you wanted to go. Thank goodness Sandy sent me a text telling me you were coming, otherwise Russ would still be in bed."

Garrett: "What?? Russ, were you seriously not going? Sandy said you were going to support Robbie and that I needed to do the same."

Russ: "It never crossed my mind. Never even considered it. I would have totally been in bed."

<the car erupted in laughter>

We collectively laugh, finding humor in my argument for sag support for a 5K in Council Bluffs. But no one complained as we enjoyed good lighthearted conversation during our morning drive into Iowa. The boys went to Starbucks while we girls caught up during our 3.1 mile run on the Wabash Trail. And then we all made our way back into Omaha, enjoying more good conversation and a great breakfast at the Leavenworth Cafe.

Home by 9:30 before Grant even noticed we were gone. Shower and church followed with the easiness of a laid-back Sunday morning. A great morning with continued genuine support from two great guys while running with my favorite race buddy.

A 10K is next on our race list. Likely the guys will need to get matching t-shirts for this one. Garrett's only request is that we find something in Omaha the next time around and not quite so early.

I will support him on this one.

Another race finish!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Own Your Shit

July 28, 2020: The New Normal